Nutrition is of the utmost importance when it comes to performance. Performance can mean different things to different people. It could mean focusing at work, killing your workouts, and/or participating in athletic activities with family and friends. When it comes to weight loss, eating right really is the key to success.
No matter how hard you work at the gym, progress will be slowed down if nutrition is not on point. To make it easy, Martin Rooney has a list of The Top 20 Foods for “Warriors of any Kind.” These foods should be included in your diet to ensure optimal performance, whether that means weight loss, muscle gain, or increased focus when its game time. And yes, I’ve posted this before, but being consistent is how you improve your lifestyle – consider this my way of re-enforcing the Warrior 20!
- Whole Eggs
- Lean Meats, poultry, and game
- Fatty Fish
- Fermented Soy
- Cruciferous Vegetables (eg. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts)
- Citrus (Oranges, Grapefruit, etc)
- Berries (Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, Cranberries)
Starches and Whole Grains
- Sweet Potatoes/yams
- Nuts (and nut butters)
- Seeds (flax, hemp, chia)
- Olive Oil
- Green tea
The Warrior 20 are packed with nutrients and will help almost anyone build muscle, burn fat, and blast through their workouts.
For those of us in a time crunch, try out ‘The Super Shake.’ Follow these 6 steps to make a meal replacement or add some extra protein to your diet:
- Step 1 – Add ice
- Step 2 – Pick a fruit from the Warrior 20
- Step 3 – Toss in Spinach
- Step 4 – Add a scoop of protein
- Step 5 – Select a nut or seed from the Warrior 20
- Step 6 – Add liquid (water, green tea, unsweetened milk alternative)
- Step 7 – OPTIONAL – Add a topper such as dark chocolate, ground coffee beans, coconut, or cinnamon. Great on cheat days!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake
- Chocolate flavored protein powder
- 1-2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp nuts
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1 c Unsweetened Almond milk(or water)
Try this sample shake or make your own creation using the Warrior 20.