Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that most children hate, but everyone should learn to love. It has a unique mixture of nutrients that make it one of the best power foods (not to mention it being on the Warrior 20).
Let’s take a look at what nutrients it provides:
- Vitamin C – Great for keeping your immune system functioning optimally and is also an antioxidant which means it can help fight cancer.
- Vitamin A – Helps protect the cardiovascular system, which means it’s great for heart health. On top of that, it has been linked to slowing the aging process, boosting immune system function, eye health, and skin health.
- Vitamin K – The blood clotting vitamin. It helps make sure you heal fast, essential for bone growth, and preventing heart disease.
- Vitamin B6 – Involved in several processes in the body including digestive, immune, muscular, and cardiovascular and nervous system. It also helps with brain function and the body make melatonin which keeps your internal clock running smoothly.
- Fiber – Prevents constipation, keeps blood sugar low, and keeps you feeling full – great for keeping weight in check!
- Folate – Mainly linked to pregnant women and preventing spina bifida and brain defects in newborns. In adults it can help with cell growth and metabolism.
- Potassium – Necessary for muscle growth, nervous system function, and brain health.
- Selenium – Another antioxidant. It has been linked specifically with preventing prostate cancer.
- Manganese – A mineral linked with bone health.
- Tryptophan – An amino acid that helps with the creation serotonin (the feel good hormone) and is also involved with brain development in infants.
- Phosphorus – Another mineral linked with bone health.
- Phytonutrients – In humans, phytonutrients can help prevent disease and keep the body healthy. Specifically, broccoli has glucosinolates which has anti-viral, antibacterial, an anti-cancer properties.
- Antioxidants – Besides the two already mentioned, broccoli has Flavonoids (another phytonutrient as well) which has been linked with cancer prevention.
That is quite the lineup of nutrients!
Want to know what other power foods YOU should be eating? Contact our experts today!